Saturday, November 1, 2014

Try to do something . . .


                                                                     
                                                                             



If you've read very many of my posts you know I have a special interest in the future health of the bees of the world,  especially since researching and writing When Bees Die.   So I always follow up on posts I come across on that subject.   On David Suzuki's site  (he's a well known Canadian environmentalist) is an article on this subject.  More government plans to introduce chemicals that are detrimental to bees and probably not too good for the rest of us.

I had to admire the easy way I could register my complaint with the government.   There's a ready made letter (which I could amend should I so choose) and I only needed to add my name and e-mail before pressing the 'send' button.   That's a smart way to do it.   Lots of people care but there are many causes and demands on our time.  

Asking people to sit down and handwrite a letter, find an envelope and a stamp and walk to the mail box likely deters a large percentage at some step in the process.    A couple of months ago I somehow had the time to call a large charity that I support from time to time with the suggestion that they explore other ways to make life easier for potential donors.  (It was suggested to me by a family member that I was on another one of my tilting at windmills exercises).   Nevertheless,  quite a few charities have had themselves listed as potential bills on my bank's website.   Donating is a matter of a couple of clicks.   I didn't get the impression after my telephone call, that I had been taken seriously.

But it wasn't just the greater expenditure of time and effort that concerned me.   It seemed to me that a charity should be run in a business-like manner.   They owe it to their donors.  And that includes staying current with technology and newer methods of paying bills and making donations. If not, it makes me wonder about the charity's overall efficiency and thoughtfulness in administering donations.   It's a little like seeing an overflowing inbox on someone's desk.   Somehow, you're not impressed.















If you support the cause of our declining bee population and are Canadian, take a look at the Suzuki Foundation website.

No comments:

Post a Comment