Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Guilty Pleasures

I was never of those mothers that parroted:  Eat up your dinner;   there are starving children in China. ...'      I get the impression China is very prosperous now compared to the Cultural Revolution days but that's probably just the few.    Lately, there have been local outcries to tax real estate purchases by wealthy overseas buyers; overseas being the code word for wealthy Chinese buyers.   Vancouver is considered a safe haven for monetary fortunes.   Perhaps keeping  funds at home engenders envy and who knows where that leads.

When I visited Versailles in my youth I was awestruck.   It's just so opulent, so over the top luxurious.   The Hall of  Mirrors there seemed unbelievable to my nineteen year old eyes.  I wanted to be Marie Antoinette,  I longed to live royally in that decadent splendor.


Hall of Mirrors, Versailles



Next month I will be visiting the Hemitage in St. Petersburg,  named Leningrad until 1991.   I'm told it rivals Versailles or perhaps exceeds it in opulence.   Many people have this destination on their bucket list.  I'm sure it won't disappoint but somehow my thoughts now are meandering  more to wondering how many peasants and farmers went hungry or half clothed to provide all that excess.  I now tend to take my pleasure in natural wonders and beauties, especially when they are available for all to enjoy.  



The Hemitage, St. Petersburg


Maybe they used the same decorator.

No comments:

Post a Comment