Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Books we read as children



                                                                             




Sometimes, books we read or hear as children can linger in our memory for a long time.   We may forget about them until some event, conversation or memory triggers our recollection.   Such was the case with The Winged Watchman by Hilda Van Stockum.   Along with the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, it is one of the books I remember reading as a child.   Or in this case, it was a school librarian that read The Winged Watchman to our class when I was about nine or ten years old.

This is the age when children become aware of the larger world outside their own family and community.   Oh, they may know it exists before this time, but I believe it is when the world, its diverse peoples and its history start to make an impact of a child's psyche.   The Winged Watchman is set in Holland during World War II and describes the life of one family affected by the war.   It includes many details, but none graphically, and is told from the point of view of a young boy.   This book made me think about the larger world outside my school and neighbourhood.

   I was surprised, and pleased, to see it is still available in paperback or now on audio CD, though not as an e-book.  I'm going to read it again.      

1 comment:

  1. I might have to look that one up.

    While I was tearing through a lot of science fiction authors at that age, I think for me 'that book' was Robert Westall's The Watch House. Growing up on the coast, the sea rescues and lifeguard history were as familiar to me as the ghost story was gripping, but while I could remember the plot perfectly, I had almost forgotten what the book was called until I found a second hand copy in a box of books.

    Yes, it was as good as I remembered, and lives happily on my bookshelf now many years later.

    ReplyDelete