Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I GOT THERE AS FAST AS I COULD

                           




From a prompt from my Writers' Group:

AS FAST AS I COULD

"As fast as I could"
The childish voice spoke,
And looked up with a grin
As if we shared a good joke.

Send a child on an errand,
Don't be in a hurry.
They'll walk fast or slow
But lunch is not their worry.

Two blocks to the store
Nothing interesting to see,
Well, not for an adult,
For whom time is money.

There's a beetle to follow,
At least for a bit,
And the boy near the store 
Has a new baseball mitt.

A few fly throws later,
The money falls out
Of the pocket that held it,
"That's what the walk was about!"

"I ran all the way back,"
He panted to prove it true,
And held up the squashed loaf,
Like a trophy awarded to the few.

No comments:

Post a Comment