Wednesday, August 28, 2013

FACEBOOK AND TWITTER





                                                 




Contrary to the standard advice given to authors, I do not use Facebook or Twitter.   I apologize if any of my readers have looked there for me in vain.   There are a few reasons for this but I would like to focus on one particular reason in this post.   I don't impute my reasons to anyone else but personally, I would feel concern I was being a pretend friend.  I know that some, even many, writers extoll the sense of connection with 
readers that these two forms of social media
 can provide.   Buy when I read posts and 
recommendations like the following ones, it 
turns me off, frankly.  At the root of much
 social media by authors seems to be the
 desire to sell more books.


"Both businesses and publications have already seen how marketing blog posts, articles, and white papers in social media can bring them new customers, subscribers, and sales."

"Twitter is a great social networking tool which emerging authors can use to post realtime messages to their fan base. It is important that these messages be relevant to the affair of promoting and publicizing the book."

"Repeat your posts. I repeat my tweets four times every eight hours — you don’t get 1,240,000 Twitter followers by not taking risks. This is pushing the edge, but the assumption that everyone who is interested in your posts will see it the first time is naïve."

 "the success of her e-books came about as a result of spending about 80% of her time marketing . . ." 



Advice to authors in relation to media often emphasizes the need to limit marketing so that fans or followers aren't turned off.    You have to establish a relationship and then they will buy your book(s).   A marketing campaign disguised as friendship.  

Maybe I'm completely wrong about all of this but as Shakespeare pointed out:   "To thine own self be true."     

Here's another perspective from a non-author point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment