Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Take every opportunity to enjoy yourself!

I've  been watching the A & E 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice lately.   In small doses, because I want to spread out the pleasure.   I've only allowed myself to watch it once a year since purchasing the DVD shortly after it was released.   Under no circumstances do I want my enjoyment, dare I say my rapture, to be diminished by over-use.



                                                             




I read recently that Jane Austen could become the face on the new 10 pound note in Britain, surely one of the most common in use.    It is considered a great honour although the lady herself might consider being crumpled and folded and stuffed down people's pant pockets something to give her pause.   However, It demonstrates her enduring popularity.

Back to the DVD.   Like a lot of writers, I sometimes study work I admire to try to tease out the reason.   In P & P (this is how true afficionados describe it)  it is the characters, the plot, the tension, the reverses, the costumes, the scenery . . .   I must not forget the memorable lines:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” 

“We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him.”

“My good opinion once lost is lost forever.” 

“She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me, and I am in no humor at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men.”

If you enjoy these, there are fifteen pages on Goodreads here.

I like to quote the post title to anyone going on vacation--even myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment