Saturday, March 2, 2013

INTERVIEW



                                                                     

With coffee cup in hand, I'm sitting across from an imaginary interviewer who is scribbling furiously as I answer some standard questions.

What are you writing now?
Right now I am working on editing  the fourth Jaswinder Mystery book, with a working title of Camelid from Camelot.   At least that's the title on the file in my flash drive.  (Changed this to If Llamas could Talk . . .)   I would like to have the second volume of When Bees Die ready by this fall, but that remains to be seen.  I'll start it after Jaswinder IV is finished.

Where did the idea come from for the Jaswinder Mystery Series?

The first book, Operatory of Death, was done as part of my participation in NaNoWriMo, as I've written before.  (National Write a Novel Month).   I know several people who work in dental offices and I'm familiar with Surrey, B.C., the setting.



How did you choose to write in this genre?  

I had decided I wanted to write the genre before I even knew its name.   I don't know who came up with the name.  (Pause while I google this and find out the answer!).   Here's Wikipedia's definition:

A sub-genre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humourously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community.


Do you have an author role model?

I enjoy reading Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.  I suppose I could call these books a role model for the Jaswinder Mystery Series.  I won't presume to compare my books to his.

 For my dystopic novels, I've enjoyed reading some of the classics:   Brave New World,  1984, Farenheit 451, Handmaid's Tale.  I'm probably missing some favourites in this list.   Often it is a news article or program that will start me thinking down a certain path. If this activity/way of life/erroneous action continues what will be one possible/the inevitable result?



Who or what inspired the current WIP? (that's author talk for work in progress)

Characters become friendly acquaintances that the author likes to visit.   I didn't realize this before I started writing.   A relative's co-worker, named Tammy, interested in llamas, suggested the current theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment