Wednesday, August 22, 2012

SOCIAL MEDIA

One of the writer blogs I follow, http://jodyhedlund.blogspot.ca/ had an interesting post recently about social media which I felt compelled to contribute to.      If I can attempt to paraphrase Jody, she was unhappy that social media was becoming less about being social and more about promotion and sales.   You won't find me on facebook or twitter promoting my books.   It's not that I don't like discussing my books with readers or others or considering issues that are raised in them.   That's part of what I do here.   But a heavy duty sales pitch--no thanks.   




Thousands of books are being published every day and many writers feel it is difficult for them to be noticed or stand out from the crowd.    But creating shallow relationships through Twitter or Facebook is no guarantee that those people will buy your book and I can't help but think that engaging in these interactions for this purpose would make many people feel dishonest.




                    

No comments:

Post a Comment