Sunday, July 1, 2012

What is 'cozy' exactly?

I don't know who came up with this word to apply to a certain type of mystery.  (Wait, I could probably google that and find out!).   I've read different definitions on various author websites:   they're the type of books you read in front of a fire with an afghan on your lap (the blanket, not the dog!)   They're the type of book you take to the beach, they're a 'light' read.  A website that features cozy mysteries,  http://www.cozy-mystery.com/  describes the books as set in a small picturesque village or town with the kind of people you know as your neighbours--except for the murderer, once you know who he or she is.  There is no gory violence and limited 'adult' situations.   A few laughs along the way are enjoyable as well.

Everyone has different tastes and wants something different out of their reading experience.   I think that applies to movies as well.   I've found I don't like reading a book or seeing a movie that leaves me upset, traumatized or feeling guilty for being alive, healthy and happy.  I realize it can be a terrible world, but much as I would like to, I cannot solve the world's problems.   Other people have a different point of view.  As others have said, it would be a boring world if we were all the same and liked the same things.

I think authors tend to write what they like.   The genres I write in are interesting to me.  I hope they will give readers an entertaining read and something to think about.   But no nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment